Symphony members to play informal 'fusion'
By SUBURBAN LIFE MEDIA
Musicians from the West Suburban Symphony will present “fusion,” a club-style show, at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 18, in downtown Downers Grove.
Five groups of classically trained musicians, ranging from duets to quintets, will perform popular music in a casual setting, with West Suburban Symphony Society Music Director Peter Lipari as master of ceremonies.
The show features vocal and instrumental renditions of hits by rock bands from the ‘60s to today, plus music by Irving Berlin, George Gershwin, Henry Mancini, Astor Piazzolla and Andrew Lloyd Webber.
“This mix of rock, blues, rag, tango … and Broadway music is simply exceptional,” symphony President Richard Lukes said.
The musicians will include three public school teachers: baritone Glenn Spitler of Downers Grove South High School; and cellist Tom Culver and fiddler Jeff Teppema, both of La Grange District 102’s Park Junior High School.
Hosted by the Athletes of Dance school and the West Suburban Symphony Society, the “fusion” show takes place in the performance hall of the Masonic Temple, 923 Curtiss St.; the hall can be accessed only by stairs. Free parking is available in the nearby municipal garage.
Tickets cost $15 for all ages. They may be purchased at the door starting at 6:45 p.m. or in advance at 630-887-7464, at www.westsubsymphony.org, or by mail to West Suburban Symphony, P.O. Box 565, Hinsdale, IL 60522.
More Music News
- Check out select events in Planit 5
- Planit 5: East and Northeast DuPage events, Sept. 18 to Oct. 25
- Planit 5: Central and Northwest DuPage events: Sept. 19 to Oct. 12
- Mystery Diner: The Bank Restaurant capitalizes on fresh fare
- Soul singer Jesse Dee to star at FitzGerald's in Berwyn
- Reunion announced for Lyons Township 1970s graduates
- Peter Lipari to conduct West Suburban Symphony in Westmont
- Live at the Zoo promises 'wild' time at Cosley Zoo in Wheaton
- Beethoven to power season launch by Elgin Symphony Orchestra
- Chef Shangri-La to stage Fong Music Fest in North Riverside with Elvis and eight bands