Workshops to debut for LEGO week
By SUBURBAN LIFE MEDIA
Cantigny’s LEGO Train Show takes shape from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 14 and 15, in Wheaton.
A holiday tradition, the 12th annual show, requiring a full day to set up, transforms the entire Cantigny Visitors Center into a wonderland for LEGO fans. It is produced by the Northern Illinois LEGO Train Club and is the group’s largest annual event in terms of floor space and attendance (www.niltc.org).
Visitors can experience the event in a more intimate way by attending a special LEGO Train Show party from 6 to 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 14. Guests can enjoy the show without lines, as they view the elaborate LEGO displays and meet the builders.
Snacks, desserts and hot chocolate will be served, and a cash bar will be available. Ticket holders also receive a holiday keepsake and complimentary parking.
The party is priced at $15 for adults and $8 for children ages 3 to 12. It's free for younger kids. Tickets may be purchased online at www.cantigny.org, at the park in the Cantigny Shop, or by phone at 630-260-8162.
In addition, young LEGO enthusiasts are invited to the park before the main event for these first-time workshops:
• Pre-engineering with LEGO
Wednesday, Dec. 11, for ages 5 and 6
• Engineering FUNdamentals with LEGO
Thursday, Dec. 12, for ages 7 to 12
Both 90-minute workshops begin at 4:30 p.m. in the Medill Room, inside the Cantigny Visitors Center. Cost is $20 per child, which includes expert instruction by the staff of Play-Well TEKnologies. Class registration is at www.cantigny.org or call 630-260-8162.
Admission to the two-day LEGO Train Show is complimentary, with paid parking of $5 per vehicle. Cantigny Park will waive the parking fee for anyone bringing a new and unwrapped toy for the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve’s Toys for Tots drop boxes inside the Visitors Center at 1S151 Winfield Road.
More Family Fun News
- Wheaton Park District to unwrap gift cards, Black Friday sales, pool specials
- Planit 5: South DuPage and Will county events, Nov. 21 to Jan. 3
- Planit 5: Central and Northwest DuPage events: Nov. 21 to Jan. 3
- Check out select events in Planit 5
- Guest stars to join fingerstylist Muriel Anderson at Downers Grove hometown concert
- Holiday breakfast at Benedictine University to feature Santa
- Salt Creek Ballet to stage special 'Nutcracker' in Hinsdale
- Hinsdale Humane Society to host photos with Santa
- Improv comics to star at Congregation Etz Chaim in Lombard; Hanukkah Gift Bazaar set
- Bartlett students to perform 'It's a Wonderful Life' as radio play