Overnight outdoor adventure trip nears at DuPage Forest Preserves
By SUBURBAN LIFE MEDIA
The Forest Preserve District of DuPage County in partnership with REI in Oakbrook Terrace invites outdoor explorers to join an overnight program of kayaking, camping and nature exploration during the ranger-led “Autumn Weekend Trip” on Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 9 and 10.
Participants will meet at McDowell Grove Forest Preserve in Naperville at 10 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 9. They’ll receive instruction on kayaking basics before an afternoon of paddling to Blackwell Forest Preserve in Warrenville, where they’ll take part in outdoor activities and spend the night at the family campground.
They’ll learn tips for cooking with cast iron as they help make dinner for the group before a night’s rest under the stars. In the morning, they’ll enjoy a simple breakfast and help break camp before continuing their paddling course. Participants should complete their trip by 1 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 10.
“This trip is designed to accommodate experienced outdoor explorers and beginners alike, and we’ll tailor the activities to the weather and the participants’ interests,” said Jay Johnson, a site manager with the district. “The group may go on an evening hike, learn to identify stars and develop their outdoor skills, all while enjoying their trip without the bugs or heat that bother summer campers.”
“Autumn Weekend Trip” costs $50 per person and is open to ages 12 and older. Children younger than 18 must be with an adult. Kayaking equipment is included; participants can use their own tents or borrow from a limited quantity available for the trip. If river conditions are poor, the kayaking portion of the trip may move to Blackwell’s Silver Lake. Advance registration is required by calling the District’s Visitor Services office at 630-933-7248.
For more information on programs offered by the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County, call 630-933-7200 or visit dupageforest.org.
More Recreation/Hobbies News
- Mark Twain portrayal to entertain families in West Chicago
- Legendary Holmes Brothers to celebrate CD with free lakeside concert at COD
- Wheaton Brew Fest to blend craft beer, music, food and good cause
- Check out select events in Planit 5
- Chow to dish up 'Healthy Cooking with Chef Kevin' class in Elmhurst
- Tom's Cookbook Library: A fine mother-daughter collaboration
- Von Heidecke's Chicago Festival Ballet sets auditions for milestone 'Nutcracker'
- Suburban youth symphony to team with actors in Mozart event at Ravinia Festival
- Planit 5: South DuPage and Will county events, July 26 to Aug. 6
- Planit 5: Central and Northwest DuPage events: July 25 to Aug. 4