Christian songwriter Dan Schutte to perform in Elmhurst church
By SUBURBAN LIFE MEDIA
Visitation Parish in Elmhurst invites the community to hear Dan Schutte in concert at 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 18. His most celebrated pieces include “Here I Am, Lord,” “City of God,” “Sing a New Song” and “Though the Mountains May Fall.” He will lead a workshop the next morning.
Schutte has been composing music for worship for more than 30 years. His works continue to be part of the standard repertoire for Christian worship worldwide. Concert organizers note he is one of the best-known, most prolific composers of music for the liturgy.
Elmhurst resident Christine Dunne was a member of Schutte's choral ensemble at Marquette University.
"Dan truly lives his message of bringing people closer to God through words and song,” Dunne said. “He taught us wide-eyed college kids about praying the music, not performing it. It had a powerful impact on me and my fellow choir members. He has a contagious spirituality about him and his talents are far-reaching."
Visitation Church is at 779 S. York St. Tickets for the concert cost $10 per person, or $25 per family, and are available at the Visitation parish office or by contacting Barbara Masters at 630-834-8190 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
From 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 19, Schutte will lead a workshop at Visitation on liturgical ministry at the service of the community. The workshop is free, but registration is required. Contact Masters at the phone number or email above.
Schutte is composer-in-residence at the University of San Francisco. He holds two master’s degrees from the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, Calif., as well as three honorary doctorate degrees.
For more on the church, go to www.visitationparish.org.
More Concerts News
- Check out select events in Planit 5
- Planit 5: East and Northeast DuPage events, Sept. 18 to Oct. 25
- Planit 5: Central and Northwest DuPage events: Sept. 19 to Oct. 12
- Soul singer Jesse Dee to star at FitzGerald's in Berwyn
- Reunion announced for Lyons Township 1970s graduates
- Peter Lipari to conduct West Suburban Symphony in Westmont
- Live at the Zoo promises 'wild' time at Cosley Zoo in Wheaton
- Beethoven to power season launch by Elgin Symphony Orchestra
- Chef Shangri-La to stage Fong Music Fest in North Riverside with Elvis and eight bands
- Planit 5: Central and Northwest DuPage events: Sept. 12 to 21