'Tales Tombstones Tell' to unearth West Chicago history during Civil War
By SUBURBAN LIFE MEDIA
For the past 23 years, the West Chicago City Museum has showcased the rich history of the community on a fall Friday evening. The 24th annual "Tales Tombstones Tell" program will unfold at 6:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 11, in Oakwood Cemetery.
The public is invited to take a stroll through West Chicago’s oldest cemetery, located at York Street and Oakwood Avenue, with lanterns and candlelight illuminating the way. Costumed interpreters serve as hosts for the evening, revealing the life stories of former residents who lived during the time of the Civil War, including Union and Confederate soldiers.
They tell tales common to many of those alive in that era. Again this year, interpreters will provide music to accompany the historic narratives.
Organizers note that "Tales Tombstones Tell" is appropriate for families, is based on historical fact uncovered through new research, and does not contain ghost stories.
Tours last about 45 minutes. They begin at 6:30 p.m. and run continuously about every 10 minutes, with the last tour starting at 7:45 p.m. No reservations are taken, and if the weather is inclement, the program is cancelled.
Refreshments will be served after the program in the neighboring St. Mary Church basement. For 22 years, the church has provided a place for visitors to relax, as they reflect on the stories just heard and peruse displayed materials about the men and women discussed during the tour.
Although the program is free, donations are encouraged. For more information, call the museum at 630-231-3376 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit www.westchicago.org.
More Family Fun News
- Puppets to bring Frosty to life at Elmhurst Library
- Planit 5: East and Northeast DuPage county events, Dec. 17 to Jan. 2
- Planit 5: South DuPage and Will county events, Dec. 17 to Jan. 4
- Check out select events in Planit 5
- Youth can game Native American style in Romeoville
- DreamWorks presents Santa adventure led by Shrek at Oakbrook Center
- Saint Genesius to stage 'The Best Christmas Pageant Ever' in Lombard
- Planit 5: South DuPage and Will county events, Dec. 13 to 31
- Planit 5: East and Northeast DuPage county events, Dec. 13 to 19
- IC Catholic Prep to present 'Scrooge – A Christmas Carol' at York Theatre in Elmhurst