Villa Park Community Read to center on John F. Kennedy
By SUBURBAN LIFE MEDIA
A month-long remembrance of President John F. Kennedy’s life is presented by the Villa Park Public Library. It begins with the Villa Park Reads selection, Stephen King’s "11/22/63," a time travel book that speculates about going back to the 1960s to stop the Kennedy assassination.
Villa Park Reads, facilitated by the library, is a community-wide reading initiative aimed at gathering the community together through the reading of a single book. A discussion about it is planned at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 10, in the library. Any book group also discussing the work may contact the Readers Advisory Desk for additional resources.
• 6:45 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 16: A presidential-themed movie from 1964 will be screened, "The Best Man," starring Henry Fonda and Cliff Robertson.
• 1:15 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 3: Movie matinee showing of Oliver Stone’s conspiracy theory film "JFK," starring Kevin Costner.
• 7 p.m. Monday, Nov. 4: "The Peace Corps: Past and Present" will be discussed. The Peace Corps traces its roots and mission to 1960, when then U.S. Sen. John F. Kennedy challenged students to serve their country in the cause of peace. Registration is required by calling 630-834-1164, ext. 5.
• 6:45 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 13: Another presidential-themed movie, "The American President," starring Michael Douglas and Annette Bening.
• 7 p.m. Monday, Nov. 18: Leslie Goddard portrays former First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy. It is 1964, and in a climactic revelation, she recounts her husband’s death and comes to a heartfelt decision about how to begin a new life for herself and her children. Registration is required at 630-834-1164, ext. 5.
For more information, visit www.vppl.info or call the Readers Advisory Department at 630-834-1164, ext. 2. The library is at 305 S. Ardmore Ave.
More Lifestyle News
- 'Gold Star Mother Pilgrimages' author to appear at Cantigny
- Labriola Café pastry chefs to assist at haunted house decorating
- Bowls for Hunger benefit set at Congregation Etz Chaim in Lombard
- Cantigny 5K to support homeless veterans
- Planit 5: Central and Northwest DuPage events: Oct. 23 to 31