Professor to discuss women’s World War II roles in talk at Elmhurst Historical Museum
By SUBURBAN LIFE MEDIA
Before and during World War II, college women – like so many others – made vital contributions to civilian and military life while facing great difficulties both on the homefront and abroad. What were the greatest challenges in the lives of these women during the war, and how did women’s roles change as a result?
The Elmhurst Historical Museum presents a lecture by Rockford University professor Catherine Forslund titled "A College at War: Women Working for Victory in World War II." The program begins at 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 10, in the museum’s Education Center, just south of the Glos Mansion at 120 E. Park Ave. in downtown Elmhurst.
Forslund has been a professor of history at Rockford University for 13 years. She is a noted history lecturer and is co-author of the book "We Are a College at War: Women Working for Victory in World War II" (Southern Illinois University Press). Books will be for sale and available for signing following Forslund’s presentation.
The program is presented in conjunction with the Elmhurst Historical Museum’s current exhibit, “Our Lives, Our Stories: America’s Greatest Generation,” a national traveling exhibition on display through Oct. 20. The exhibit will be open for extended hours in the museum’s first-floor gallery prior to the program from 5 to 7 p.m.
Admission is free to the museum and program, and no reservations are required. Limited, free on-site parking is available.
For more information, contact the Elmhurst Historical Museum at 630-833-1457 or www.elmhursthistory.org.
More Recreation/Hobbies News
- Golf fitness workshops near at Cantigny in Wheaton
- Glen Ellyn Library offers playful 'Swinging Thru the Stacks' benefit
- TOTH sets auditions for world premiere in Bolingbrook
- DuPage Woodworkers club to welcome guests to Glen Ellyn gathering
- Kennedy Summers to launch new game at Sanctuary sports bar in Brookfield
- Planit 5: Central and Northwest DuPage events: Jan. 22 to Feb. 28
- Planit 5: East and Northeast DuPage county events, Jan. 21 to April 5
- Check out select events in Planit 5
- Oak Brook Hills Resort books helicopter rides for high-flying valentine's package
- Backstage tour of Lyric Opera to depart from La Grange Park