Fall Color 5K Run & Walk nears at Morton Arboretum
By SUBURBAN LIFE MEDIA
The Fall Color Festival at The Morton Arboretum in Lisle will get a running start when the 10th annual Fall Color 5K Run & Walk and Kid’s Dash returns Sunday, Oct. 6.
Winding through the Arboretum’s tree collections and wooded areas, the 5K participants will be treated to a close-up view of the fall foliage, including bright red sumacs, wine-colored creepers climbing on trees, and brilliantly yellow walnuts, buckeyes, redbuds and ginkgos.
The 5K Run & Walk follows a challenging USATF-certified course along the Arboretum’s east side main route through rolling terrain. Runners are tracked using the ChronoTrack B-Tag timing system, and each runner will receive a technical T-shirt and recovery food and water. Awards will be given out in age and gender categories. The race starts at 8 a.m.
The Kid’s Dash is for ages 2 to 10, and begins at 9 a.m. Each child participating will receive a cotton T-shirt and participation ribbon. Kids can take part in one of three categories: 2- to 4-year-olds will race for 50 yards, 5- and 6-year-olds will run a quarter mile, and 7- to 10-year-olds will complete a half mile.
“The Fall Color 5K and Kid’s Dash is a great opportunity for families, as well as serious runners, to come out and experience the beauty of the season,” said Jenelle Hardtke, special events manager.
The 5K Run & Walk fees are $25 for members, $30 for nonmembers, or $35 on race day. The Kid’s Dash costs $10 for members, $12 for nonmembers, or $15 on race day. Registration includes free admission to the Arboretum, and participants are encouraged to explore the 1,700 acres, including the Children’s Garden and Maze Garden following the race. Register at mortonarb.org/fallcolor5k or in the Visitor Center, 4100 Route 53.
Learn more at Morton Arboretum attractions and find the full Fall Color Festival schedule at mortonarb.org.
More Family Fun News
- Wheaton Park District to unwrap gift cards, Black Friday sales, pool specials
- Planit 5: South DuPage and Will county events, Nov. 21 to Jan. 3
- Planit 5: Central and Northwest DuPage events: Nov. 21 to Jan. 3
- Check out select events in Planit 5
- Guest stars to join fingerstylist Muriel Anderson at Downers Grove hometown concert
- Holiday breakfast at Benedictine University to feature Santa
- Salt Creek Ballet to stage special 'Nutcracker' in Hinsdale
- Hinsdale Humane Society to host photos with Santa
- Improv comics to star at Congregation Etz Chaim in Lombard; Hanukkah Gift Bazaar set
- Bartlett students to perform 'It's a Wonderful Life' as radio play