Historic Berwyn 'Bungalows and More Tour' nears
By SUBURBAN LIFE MEDIA
The Berwyn Historical Society presents the seventh annual “Bungalows and More” house tour from noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 29.
It will highlight the Dvorak house on Riverside Drive, designed by architect Charles Vedra in 1928, and featured in the Summer 2007 issue of American Bungalow.
Organizers said the tour will showcase a range of bungalows and vintage homes along and near Riverside Drive, a unique street in Berwyn noted for its impressive houses and charming character. Other tour stops include a student-led tour of Piper Elementary School, the stained glass windows of Trinity Community Church, and a stroll in Mraz Park.
Advance tickets for the house tour are available for $20 per person. Tickets may be purchased online at www.berwynbungalow.org or at the following local retailers:
• Berwyn Ace Hardware, 6316 Ogden Ave.
• James & Williams Jewelers, 7020 W. Cermak Road
• Over the Rainbow, 6836 Windsor Ave.
• Green Home Experts, 811 South Blvd., Oak Park
Tickets also can be purchased on the day of the tour for $25 at the Berwyn Historical Society headquarters, 1401 Grove.
Berwyn, recently named Best Neighborhood for Bungalows by This Old House magazine, boasts one of the largest concentrations of Chicago-style bungalow homes in the nation. Docents will share the history of each house on the tour, as well as indicate special or unique features the house may have.
Visitors can gain ideas and insight for restoring and maintaining a vintage home. Tour-goers may walk, bike, or drive between tour houses.
All proceeds benefit the Berwyn Historical Society, a nonprofit organization whose mission is to preserve, protect and promote architectural and historic resources in Berwyn through advocacy and education.
For more information, visit www.berwynbungalow.org.
Read more at http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2013/09/10/historic-berwyn-bungalows-and-more-tour-set-for-sept-29/am0mgx7
More Home & Garden News
- Check out select events in Planit 5
- DuPage Forest Preserve volunteers needed for restoration workdays
- ClaySpace to shape ceramic classes, summer camp in Lisle
- Wheaton park rental permits now available
- Planit 5: Cook County events, Feb. 27 to March 22
- Reception planned by Elmhurst Artists’ Guild for Bret Steinhaus exhibit
- Women to shop for a cause at Junior League 'Spring Fling'
- Environmentalist to be celebrated at Romeoville events
- Birds of prey to swoop into Wildlife Center in Glen Ellyn
- Planit 5: East and Northeast DuPage events, Feb. 20 to March 31