Fit Palooza to provide interactive fun in Bensenville
By SUBURBAN LIFE MEDIA
The Bensenville Park District presents Fit Palooza, a family-focused fitness open house, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 21, at Deer Grove Leisure Center, 1000 W. Wood St. The free event is designed to create awareness about the benefits of exercise and leading a healthy lifestyle at every age, and to promote the resources and activities available through the Park District.
“Most of all, we want to emphasize, that being active can be fun,” said Lauri Page, fitness manager at Deer Grove Leisure Center.
Fit Palooza activities include an interactive workout with Ronald McDonald, an obstacle-course inflatable, class demonstrations, refreshments, and a drawing for a chance to win fitness memberships, entry to classes, and active playthings.
The Park District is expanding the Youth Athletic Program with a variety of youth fitness classes such as Kids Zumba and Kids Yoga. Coming later this year will be a parent-and-tot Zumba class.
“We are reaching out to the community and area schools to help with a localized awareness campaign about the importance of physical activity and family fitness routines,” said Steve Cherveny, executive director of the Bensenville Park District. “American’s fitness level has changed greatly over the last 30 years.
"In DuPage County, more than one-third of children between 2 and 18 years of age are overweight," he said. "Calorie intake has increased, but activity levels have dropped, while kids spend hours a day using electronic entertainment media.
Fitness levels also affect academic performance, according to Page.
“Fall means back to school, but it doesn’t mean your child should stop being active,” she said. “Research shows physically active children perform better in school and have higher scores on standardized tests in reading and math. They also show improved readiness to learn, better focus and higher confidence levels.”
For more information about Fit Palooza or fitness and athletic programs provided by Bensenville Park District, call Page at 630-766-7015, ext. 2013. Visit www.bensenvilleparkdistrict.org.
More Family Fun News
- Puppets to bring Frosty to life at Elmhurst Library
- Planit 5: East and Northeast DuPage county events, Dec. 17 to Jan. 2
- Planit 5: South DuPage and Will county events, Dec. 17 to Jan. 4
- Check out select events in Planit 5
- Youth can game Native American style in Romeoville
- DreamWorks presents Santa adventure led by Shrek at Oakbrook Center
- Saint Genesius to stage 'The Best Christmas Pageant Ever' in Lombard
- Planit 5: South DuPage and Will county events, Dec. 13 to 31
- Planit 5: East and Northeast DuPage county events, Dec. 13 to 19
- IC Catholic Prep to present 'Scrooge – A Christmas Carol' at York Theatre in Elmhurst