Varied 'Saturday Tours' to explore St. James Farm Forest Preserve
By SUBURBAN LIFE MEDIA
The focus changes each week, when the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County invites visitors to discover the cultural and natural history of St. James Farm Forest Preserve in Warrenville during the “Saturday Tours” series in August.
Registration is not required, and the one-hour tours depart at 2 p.m. from the dairy barn, which is north of the new parking lot and welcome plaza off Winfield Road, one block north of Butterfield Road. For more information, call Visitor Services weekdays at 630-933-7248.
• Aug. 3 — The Artwork of St. James Farm. Discover the inspirations and interpretations of pieces installed throughout the grounds. Cost is $5 per person for ages 13 and older; $2 for ages 5 to 12, and free for younger children.
• Aug. 10 — Cultural and Natural History. Learn about the farm’s beginnings and its development during a leisurely one-mile walk free for ages 5 and older. Kids younger than 13 must be accompanied by an adult.
• Aug. 17 — The 1906 Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Caboose. Hear about the lives of the conductor and brakeman who lived and worked in the caboose and CA&E Railroad’s connection to St. James Farm. Cost is $5 per person ages 13 and older; $2 for ages 5 to 12.
• Aug. 24 — Ever-Changing Flora. Examine blooming native plants along the trails and in the prairies during a relaxing half-mile walk free to ages 5 and older. Kids younger than 13 must be accompanied by an adult.
• Aug. 31 — Behind the Scenes by Covered Wagon. Travel in the covered wagon along the standard route, and experience a few extra stops at areas visitors might not otherwise encounter. It's free to ages 5 and older. up; Kids younger than 13 must be accompanied by an adult.
The Forest Preserve District of DuPage County owns and manages 25,000 acres of prairies, woodlands and wetlands. Each year more than 4 million visitors enjoy 60 forest preserves, 145 miles of trails, five education centers and scores of programs. To get District e-news in your inbox, sign up at www.dupageforest.org/e-newsletter. For general information, visit www.dupageforest.org or call 630-933-7200.
More Family Fun News
- Planit 5: South DuPage and Will county events, Nov. 21 to Jan. 3
- Planit 5: Central and Northwest DuPage events: Nov. 21 to Jan. 3
- Check out select events in Planit 5
- Guest stars to join fingerstylist Muriel Anderson at Downers Grove hometown concert
- Holiday breakfast at Benedictine University to feature Santa
- Salt Creek Ballet to stage special 'Nutcracker' in Hinsdale
- Hinsdale Humane Society to host photos with Santa
- Improv comics to star at Congregation Etz Chaim in Lombard; Hanukkah Gift Bazaar set
- Bartlett students to perform 'It's a Wonderful Life' as radio play
- DuPage County Museum Guild to present Holiday Bazaar in Wheaton