Riverside artist's baseball cartoons to score opening reception
By SUBURBAN LIFE MEDIA
Charley Krebs, the former Suburban Life newspapers' award-winning cartoonist, will be featured in a team show about baseball as art, coming to Harrisonworks Gallery, Oak Park. The exhibit launches with an opening party from 6 to 10 p.m. Friday, July 19, and runs until mid-September.
The show features paintings, drawings and assemblages by Elizabeth Gaylord, illustrations by Krebs, drawings by Mark Hadhazy, and paintings by Gayle Fisher, Sandra Ragan and Steve Smith.
Among Krebs' illustrations to be displayed are Suburban Life newspaper cartoons about the 2005 World Series White Sox, Little League parents, and a cartoon-collage about Sox players who resided in the western suburbs.
Krebs, a Riverside resident and formerly of Cicero, was the Life's political cartoonist from 1979 until 2007, garnering 18 state and national awards for his artwork. The Riverside Arts Center presented a career retrospective of his work in 2008. Krebs' also is a featured artist at the Geneva Arts Center's "Start with a Sketch" exhibit running through November in the Fox Valley.
Harrisonworks Gallery is in the Oak Park Arts District at 17 Harrison St. More information is available at 708-308-4602 and www.harrisonworks.com.
For video on the Geneva exhibit, visit www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1FwS_3_qx8; for the 2008 RAC show, www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxYB-4eAJ5g, and for baseball cartoons, www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7eDbqX37Jg.
More Events News
- Craft show at Odeum in Villa Park
- Fitness, art, book and film to be part of celebration at Villa Park Library
- Razny Jewelers in Addison teams with Swiss watchmaker for autism month
- Global missionary to speak at women's luncheon
- DuPagePads to strike back at homelessness at Galaxy Bowl in Wheaton
- Shopping benefit in Naperville to support Camp Fire
- Maria Bakalis to present Glen Ellyn show 'History Bloopers'
- Guest speaker to address actions to combat climate change
- Family Shelter Service gala in Glen Ellyn to help fight domestic violence
- St. Louise in La Grange Park to gamble on fun for benefit Vegas Night