Bethel concert to star 'Young' international piano competition winner
By SUBURBAN LIFE MEDIA
Award-winning pianist Victoria Young, 13, will perform at Bethel United Church of Christ in Elmhurst. Her concert at 4 p.m. Saturday, June 22, will feature works by J.S. Bach, Chopin, Liszt, Albeniz and Aaron Travers. Young has appeared in performance at Carnegie Hall, Steinway Hall and Lincoln Center, and in 2011, was awarded a $10,000 Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award in conjunction with her performance on NPR’s "From the Top."
A free will offering will be collected to help further Young’s education. The church is at 315 E. St. Charles Road. For more information, call 630-279-4040. Visit www.bethel-ucc.org.
In March 2013, Young was selected as one of four prize winners in the eighth
J.S. Bach International Piano Competition in Würzburg, Germany, competing
against pianists 36 years old and younger. The youngest, she was the
second American prize winner in the history of the competition.
This January, she was awarded grand prize in the 40th Midland-Odessa Symphony
National Young Artists Competition. Past honors include first place in the
Partitas and Suites category in the Rosalyn Tureck International Bach
Piano Competition, Gold Medalist in the AADGT International Young
Musicians Festival Competition, and First Prize in the Stony Brook
International Piano Festival Competition.
A resident of Las Vegas, Young made her orchestral debut when she
was 6 with the Nevada Chamber Symphony, and has been featured soloist
with the Henderson Symphony Orchestra and the Las Vegas Youth Camerata
She made her international debut when she was 10, at the Eduardo Brito
National Theater of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. She also has been
selected by Classical Pianists of the Future to perform a solo concert in
Binghamton, N.Y., next March.
Young is currently studying at the New Music School in Chicago with Mary
Sauer, principal pianist of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and the New
Music School piano department chair. New Music School recently invited
Young to participate in its highly selective Fellows Program.
More Concerts News
- Planit 5: East and Northeast DuPage events, Sept. 18 to Oct. 25
- Planit 5: Central and Northwest DuPage events: Sept. 19 to Oct. 12
- Soul singer Jesse Dee to star at FitzGerald's in Berwyn
- Reunion announced for Lyons Township 1970s graduates
- Peter Lipari to conduct West Suburban Symphony in Westmont
- Live at the Zoo promises 'wild' time at Cosley Zoo in Wheaton
- Beethoven to power season launch by Elgin Symphony Orchestra
- Chef Shangri-La to stage Fong Music Fest in North Riverside with Elvis and eight bands
- Planit 5: Central and Northwest DuPage events: Sept. 12 to 21
- Check out select events in Planit 5