Bethel Church Shopping Cart Brigade to march in Memorial Day Parade to help veterans
By SUBURBAN LIFE MEDIA
Bethel United Church of Christ and Bethel Learning Center will revive their tradition of marching with shopping carts for a worthy cause when they participate in the Elmhurst Memorial Day Parade on Monday, May 27, to support Hines Fisher House, located at Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital. The brigade will collect paper goods along the parade route.
Serving as “a home away from home” for families of the nation’s heroes, Hines Fisher House serves veterans’ families, caregivers and friends who have someone they love going through longterm rehabilitation programs, including those for traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury and blindness.
Veterans frequently must travel long distances to receive specialized medical care. This often leaves their families in need of temporary housing in the area where a veteran is being treated. The Fisher House Foundation donates “comfort homes” that enable family members to be close to a loved one, and help alleviate stress resulting from hospitalization for an unexpected illness, disease or injury.
Hines Fisher House is on the Edward Hines Jr. VA Hospital campus, a level two polytrauma center.
Hines Fisher House provides 20 private suites of rooms along with common areas to accommodate families at no charge while their veterans are receiving treatment, and it depends on donations from individuals and groups to support its programming. Bethel United Church of Christ and Bethel Learning Center will collect paper goods, such as paper towels, napkins, bathroom tissue and facial tissues, to restock the supply cabinets at Hines Fisher House.
Those who attend the Memorial Day parade are asked to bring paper goods to fill to overflowing the shopping carts generously loaned to Bethel’s shopping cart brigade by Jewel-Osco on Schiller Street in Elmhurst. To learn more about the drive, call Kim at 630-530-7754.
Donations also can be made directly to Hines Fisher House; visit www.hines.va.gov/fisherhouse.
Bethel United Church of Christ and Bethel Learning Center are at 315 E. St. Charles Road in Elmhurst.
More Family Fun News
- Puppets to bring Frosty to life at Elmhurst Library
- Planit 5: East and Northeast DuPage county events, Dec. 17 to Jan. 2
- Planit 5: South DuPage and Will county events, Dec. 17 to Jan. 4
- Check out select events in Planit 5
- Youth can game Native American style in Romeoville
- DreamWorks presents Santa adventure led by Shrek at Oakbrook Center
- Saint Genesius to stage 'The Best Christmas Pageant Ever' in Lombard
- Planit 5: South DuPage and Will county events, Dec. 13 to 31
- Planit 5: East and Northeast DuPage county events, Dec. 13 to 19
- IC Catholic Prep to present 'Scrooge – A Christmas Carol' at York Theatre in Elmhurst