Architectural talk on transplanted Century of Progress homes set in Glen Ellyn
By SUBURBAN LIFE MEDIA
“The Century of Progress Legacy — Preserving World’s Fair Homes Along the Lake Shore” will be presented at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, May 30, by the Glen Ellyn Historical Society. Guest speaker is Todd Zeiger, executive director of the Northern Regional Office of Indiana Landmarks in South Bend, Ind.
Refreshments will be served at 7 p.m. in celebration of May as National Preservation Month in the Glen Ellyn History Center, 800 N. Main St., at Stacy’s Historic Corners.
Zeiger will discuss the eight historic properties owned by the National Park Service and leased to private individuals. The properties are restored by private parties in exchange for the lease, and the program reportedly will generate $9 million of private investment.
The homes represent 100 years of architectural evolution from a log structure that is now re-purposed as a pre-school, to the Century of Progress houses and a Lustron home. Five Century of Progress homes still exist.They include the Cypress Log Cabin, the House of Tomorrow, the Florida Tropical, Armco Ferro and the Wieboldt-Rostone home. The houses, in keeping with the fair’s theme of progress, featured innovative building materials, modern home appliances such as air-conditioning and dishwashers, and state-of-the-art construction techniques.
Zeiger will share the experiences of the lessees, the National Park Service, Indiana Landmarks and interviews with the parties undertaking the restorations.
The lecture costs $10 for GEHS members, $15 for adults, $5 for students. Tickets are available at Stacy’s Corners Store from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, and 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday. They also are available at the door that evening.
Call 630-469-1867, Ext. 101, or visit www.glenellynhistory.org.
More Lifestyle News
- Elmhurst Garden Club to set February abloom with early valentine program
- Golf fitness workshops near at Cantigny in Wheaton
- DuPage Woodworkers club to welcome guests to Glen Ellyn gathering
- Planit 5: East and Northeast DuPage county events, Jan. 21 to April 5
- Check out select events in Planit 5
- Oak Brook Hills Resort books helicopter rides for high-flying valentine's package
- 'Pack the Place' dinner set by Glenbard West Boosters
- Enchanted Railroad chugs into Morton Arboretum with new look
- Whole Foods Market in Hinsdale to present wellness events, fashion
- ‘Woods Walk’ photo contest winners named