'Family Field Day' festivities to celebrate St. James Farm
By SUBURBAN LIFE MEDIA
The Forest Preserve District of DuPage County invites families to join its celebration of the region’s agricultural and equestrian heritage at “Family Field Day at St. James Farm.” Activities are planned from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, May 25, at St. James Farm Forest Preserve in Warrenville.
Demonstrations by numerous horses and riders will echo the thrill of world-class competitions the site once hosted. Dogs and their handlers will present agility, field and search-and-rescue demonstrations.
Open to visitors are a Colonial-style stable and one modeled after Roman round barns. The 1920s dairy barn housed a state-of-the-art operation and a Guernsey herd that set the benchmark for the Midwest.
Visitors can try their hand at making butter the old-fashioned way, and meet Maggie the milking cow. Hayrides and live bluegrass music will be ongoing, along with activities for children 12 and younger, including archery, fishing and pony rides.
Admission and parking are free, but some activities require a $5-per-family fee. No registration is needed.
The entrance to St. James Farm is on Winfield Road, a quarter mile north of Butterfield Road. More information is available through Visitor Services at 630-933-7248. The event is sponsored in part by Navistar.
Attraction to open year-round
“Family Field Day” has traditionally coincided with the start of the St. James Farm operating season, which ran through November. However, starting May 26, the preserve will be open year-round. Visitors will be able to hike, bike or ride horseback along its 3.4 miles of turf trails or stroll among its historic buildings, and tree-lined paths with statues and other works of art from one hour after sunrise to one hour after sunset 365 days a year.
The Forest Preserve District of DuPage County owns and manages 25,000 acres of prairies, woodlands and wetlands. Each year more than 4 million visitors enjoy 60 forest preserves, 145 miles of trails, five education centers and scores of programs.
To receive district e-news, sign up at dupageforest.org/e-newsletter. For general information, visit dupageforest.org or call 630-933-7200.
More Family Fun News
- Golf fitness workshops near at Cantigny in Wheaton
- 'Vicki Lawrence and Mama: A Two-Woman Show' to play Paramount
- Glen Ellyn Library offers playful 'Swinging Thru the Stacks' benefit
- Albright Theatre to stage 'The Mousetrap'
- Planit 5: Central and Northwest DuPage events: Jan. 22 to Feb. 28
- Check out select events in Planit 5
- 'Pack the Place' dinner set by Glenbard West Boosters
- Enchanted Railroad chugs into Morton Arboretum with new look
- Door County fish boil to flavor FitzGerald's shows by Switchback and Julian Hagen
- Radio reenactment troupe performs ‘The Great Radio Detectives’ at Oak Park Arms