Gardeners to find hardy perennial plants at church sale in Riverside
By SUBURBAN LIFE MEDIA
Ascension Lutheran Church in Riverside has picked two dates for its perennial plant sale: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, May 11, and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, June 23. Organizers note that every year, local gardeners await the sale to find hardy perennials that grow well in our planting zone.
The sale dates coincide with Mother’s Day weekend and the Riverside Garden Club Garden Walk on June 23, which will include the Ascension gardens.
The sale features more than 100 varieties of heirloom perennials, plus limited quantities of designer hybrids. Featured is the Perennial Plant Association Plant of the Year, Polygonatum odoratum `Variegatum,' or variegated Solomon's Seal.
The one-gallon plant containers cost between $5 and $10. Experts will be on hand to answer questions and share their expertise.
The church is at 400 Nuttall Road in Riverside, long honored for its Frederick Law Olmsted landscape design. Parking is available around the church or across the street at Ames School. For more information, call 708-447-2600.
About Ascension Lutheran Church
Established in 1936, Ascension Lutheran Church began as an outreach ministry of Concordia Lutheran Church in Berwyn. Ascension is affiliated with the Metropolitan Chicago Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Visit www.ascension-riverside.org.
More Recreation/Hobbies News
- Mystery Diner: Pinstripes scores with 'sophisticated fun' in Oak Brook
- Dogs can put best paw forward in Hinsdale obedience classes
- Mark Twain portrayal to entertain families in West Chicago
- Legendary Holmes Brothers to celebrate CD with free lakeside concert at COD
- Wheaton Brew Fest to blend craft beer, music, food and good cause
- Check out select events in Planit 5
- Chow to dish up 'Healthy Cooking with Chef Kevin' class in Elmhurst
- Tom's Cookbook Library: A fine mother-daughter collaboration
- Von Heidecke's Chicago Festival Ballet sets auditions for milestone 'Nutcracker'
- Suburban youth symphony to team with actors in Mozart event at Ravinia Festival